Friday, May 23, 2014

The Gift

I woke up this morning and staggered out of bed in the half-light. I was barefoot and headed for the bathroom. There was something soft and lumpy under my left foot.  A cat toy, I thought, but it didn't feel right.  So I looked.  By now, of course you may have guessed. It was a small mouse, very dead. My cats do not go out to hunt, but we live in an old farmhouse and sometimes the mice come in; more fool they. The Lady is a mighty hunter.

I squeaked with surprise, probably not unlike the poor mouse, and almost lost my balance.

"Mow!" said the Lady, from her spot on the nearby cat condo.

"Yes," said I,"of course. Thank you so very much!"  I noticed that the ears had been chewed off the mouse, but naturally I didn't mention it; it seemed rude. One should always be courteous when a cat gives a present.

"I will eat it in the bathroom," I said.

I picked up the mouse with a tissue and proceeded to the bathroom, where I buried the mouse at sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment